Monday, April 18, 2011

My Dad's Deacon Ordination

This post is long overdue...I have several things that I should post about just because this blog has become such a keepsake for us, that I like to blog about everything, but with all that has been happening with us over the last few months, and my slow computer, it has made it impossible to "catch up". However, I did want to go back so to speak and blog about my Dad's ordination as a deacon! I am so proud of him! My dad has worn many hats through out my life and I am so thankful for the example he has been to me! He was a loving husband to my mom and cared for her until she passed away in 1976, he showed me how a husband should love his wife, he then became both father and mother, providing for his family, protecting us, and nurturing us! Things weren't always easy, but I know my dad did the best he could to provide us with a loving, safe, home environment! When my grandmother faced Alzheimer's disease, my dad didn't want to put her in a nursing home, so even though he worked full time, he managed to care for her, cooking her meals, making sure she was taking care of herself physically, and taking care of her home.  He even brought her younger sister out to live with her to avoid the nursing home, unfortunately he and my aunt evidently had to make the hard decision to place her in a nursing home, but my dad continued to visit her every single day until she passed away in 1997! My dad's sister has now been diagnosed with Alzheimer's as well, and he feels that same desire to care for her, she lives in FL, but he makes monthly trips down to visit her, and talks to her daily, he is even considering moving to FL to help her husband care for her! This is the kind of man my dad is...I hope and pray I have learned every lesson!

When my dad was approached by his pastor about being ordained as a deacon, he was honored, but didn't feel worthy, but he accepted willingly and I believe he is making one fine deacon! I am proud of the heritage my dad has passed on to me! He served his country in the military for 23 years, He still serves his family everyday, and He serves his Lord and his church! Thank you dad for being the man you are! I am so proud to call you my dad!


 My dad with my step-sister, Ashley and her daughter Macy
 Chase and Poppa
My sister in law, Nancy got some pictures of me and my dad, some with my niece as well, so I will add those when I get them from her!

1 comment:

Tara said...

What an exciting day!!!