Tuesday, November 25, 2008

14 Years of Wedded Bliss!!

Tommy and I are celebrating our 14th wedding anniversary today. We were married on November 25, 1994. That year November 25th fell on the day after Thanksgiving and I was so thankful to become Mrs. Tommy Worthey. I continue to thank God daily for giving me such a wonderful man of God to be my husband! Tommy and I did not have a big fairy tale wedding, but he will always be the man of my dreams. We did however have a fairy tale romance:) He literally swept me off my feet. We eloped to Gatlinburg, TN to get married in the "Chapel in the Valley". We went to Gatlinburg last year with some friends to celebrate Thanksgiving and found out that our little chapel had been torn down and replaced by the very resort where we were staying. I was very sad that Chase was not able to see the actual chapel where Tommy and I became husband and wife, but it was a beautiful resort and we had a great week with our friends!! I have to tell you Tommy has gotten alot more romantic than he was when we first started dating...I remember the night like it was yesterday that he told me that he was falling in love with me. He already had our entire life together planned out, and then he looked at me and said "I did ask you to marry me didn't I?" I said "No, you haven't", so he asked and of course I said "YES". When we went to pick out my engagement ring, we bought it and our wedding bands at the same time, so as we got back in the car, Tommy hands me the box and says "Did you want this now?" Of course I did...Like I said he has come along way since then!! I give him a hard time about how he proposed and how he gave me the engagement ring, but the truth is I remember every detail of that night, it was the most romantic day of my life and Tommy is and will always be the love of my life!! We didn't have a very long engagement and as I said we decided to elope, so the 5 months that we dated, he would leave sweet notes on my car windshield for me to find as I was leaving for work, and we had so many waiters and waitresses asking us if we were newly engaged...They could tell just by the way we looked at each other and the love in our eyes. I am so thankful that after 14 years, we still look at each other that way! He has done alot better these last 14 years, he even hired a quartet to come and sing for me, but I will save all those details for our 100th post blog. I am going to turn this over to Tommy now and let him write his comments on our anniversary, but first I would like to say one last thing:
Tommy, thank you for marrying me, thank you for being a wonderful husband and father, thank you for all the things you do for me, thank you for all the ways you make me a better person! I love you with all my heart now and forever! Happy Anniversary - Sugar Lips
Love ~Heidi


Well, I’m going to start off by making a strange statement. It’s hard to believe that Heidi and I have already been married for fourteen years and at the same time it is hard to believe that we have only been married for fourteen years. Now let me explain that statement before you misunderstand. Most of you know that I am a few years older than Heidi. I met her when I was 24 and she was only 12. I taught the youth in our Sunday school and Heidi was one of my students. She always stood out from the other kids because she was so cute, funny, sweet, kind, faithful, and mischievous. I guess you could say she was like the Sunday school teachers pet. Anyway, Heidi was 26 when I asked her to marry me, so we had known each other for 14 years before we got married. Heidi was always close to me and my family, so it just seems like we have been family for a lot more than 14 years.It would take too long to tell you all the details, so let me just make it brief and say that it was only two months after my first wife died that I asked Heidi to marry me. I knew people would not understand us getting engaged so soon after losing a spouse, so I told Heidi we would keep it quiet for a while. Well, I made it for about a week and then I told Heidi I can’t do this any longer. So we decided to tell the world and let them just deal with it. So we did, and as I guessed, people thought that I was either on the rebound or going through a midlife crisis or something. In reality I knew all along that God had placed Heidi in my life for this purpose.When Heidi and I got married I was surprised to see that she had a title of a song that we had claimed as ours engraved inside my wedding band. It is a song by George Strait called I Cross My Heart. Here are the lyrics:

Our love is unconditional
We knew it from the start
I can see it in your eyes
You can feel it from my heart
from here on after
Lets stay the way we are right now
And share all the love and laughter
That a lifetime will allow

Chorus:

I cross my heart
And promise to
Give all I’ve got to give
To make all your dreams come true
In all the world
You’ll never find
A love as true as mine

You will always be the miracle
That makes my life complete
And as long as there’s still breath in me
I’ll make yours just as sweet
As we look into the future
Its as far as we can see
So lets make each tomorrow
Be the best that it can be

Chorus

And if along the way we find a day
It starts to storm
You’ve got the promise of my love
To keep you warm

The words to this song are still special to both of us and still just as meaningful. Heidi and I are still as in love as ever. On our first wedding anniversary I bought Heidi a wedding band to match mine. On hers I also had a song title engraved. I picked out a song that I felt suited the way I feel about Heidi. It is a song sung by John Michael Montgomery titled Heaven Sent Me You. Here are the lyrics:

I've never seen blue eyes filled with so much love
I never thought I'd find out what I found in your touch
Someone up there must like me 'cause I'm Lookin' at the proof there's no doubt about it
Heaven sent me you
Heaven sent me you to make my life complete
An angel from above to watch over me
What makes it even better
Is you feel the same way too
There's no doubt about it heaven sent me you
Every moment that we share will live forever in my mind
Every memory that we make
Are sure to outlast time
I know when I hold you close I'm holdin' Love that's true
There's no doubt about it
Heaven sent me you
Heaven sent me you to make my life complete
An angel from above to watch over me
What makes it even better
Is you feel the same way too
There's no doubt about it heaven sent me you
There's no doubt about it heaven sent me you

This song still rings true to me today. I never had any doubt and I still never doubt the fact that God sent Heidi to me. She is like an angel sent from heaven to love me and encourage me and support me. She is my cheerleader and greatest fan. I don’t know what my life would have been like without her, but I know it has been like a piece of heaven here on earth with her.
Heidi, thank you for marrying me and putting up with me all these years. I love you with all my heart and I will love you for all eternity. You are the love of my life and my dream come true.
Happy anniversary cookie-face.
Tommy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your story. This makes me look back at Richard and I. We are very blessed to have these men in our lives!
Love ya'll both.
Lisa

Tara said...

What a neat story! Happy Anniversary! (Loved the wedding pictures too!)